In my previous post, I wrote about how I was refocusing prioritizing myself.
As a mom, I tend to focus so much attention on the kids and being a homemaker. While this isn’t necessarily a bad thing, I realized I need to make myself happy to, as an individual.While I do a good chunk of self-care already (like the gym), I don’t think I was doing enough to “fill my cup.”I could feel myself starting to get bitter and unhappy. I knew I needed to start adding in some more “self care” into my weeks, besides lifting.For this post I am going into detail about all those little things that I am adding back in or doing as part of my “refocusing” on myself.
- Starbucks: While yes, I can make my own coffee at home, I really enjoy snagging some Starbucks as I drive to work for my early 6:00am shifts (twice a week).
- Pure Barre: I signed up for the four classes per month pack for a couple of months. Budget wise I won’t be able to do it for more than that but maybe later on, I’ll try out some yoga studios near me.
- Weekly Treats: I love Tate’s chocolate chip cookies; I could eat a whole bag! But I decided once a week to get a small pack. I also still have my weekly Blaze run and a pizza is under $7.00 and is good for two meals.
- Nightly Skin Care: For this, I’d neglect washing my washing my face and/ removing make up to finish cleaning. I noticed my skin hasn’t been that fantastic. So now I’m making sure I set aside that time to take care of my face.
- It may seem small, but it’s literally all about taking care of myself first. The dishes can wait five minutes. 😉
- Seasonal Candles: Something that calms me down for the evening, is putting a candle on, getting ready for the next day and reading. I used to do this a couple of nights a week, but now I am trying to dedicate 3-4 times a week.
- Sometimes I am just way too tired and pass out at 9:00pm, but for the most part, I do enjoy relaxing and reading some articles while I [currently] burn me some Bourbon pumpkin.
Monthly extra spends amount for “self care”: about $103.00
Now you may be thinking… that’s a ton of money.
Pat has added more hours at work, so he is now taking over a bill that I was paying about $100 for. And while I can put that money towards savings or a debt, for right now I want to focus on doing things for myself.Pure barre is only for two months, so my monthly extra spends will go down to $32.00. I may just opt to purchase a class here and there [for $25.00] because here in New England, you never know what the weather is going to be in the winter.
While being a mom is my most favorite role, as my mom keeps saying “you can’t pour from an empty cup.”It’s something we as moms know, but sometimes it takes burnout or feeling unhappy to really put it into perspective.Kids are always watching and if they see you happy and healthy, they will thrive as you thrive. ❤